The Office of Early Childhood ensures that all children have access to high-quality early learning programs and enter kindergarten prepared for success. We ensure that all early childhood outcomes include:
- Children thriving
- Children are developmentally ready to succeed in school
- Children are prepared to succeed by achieving appropriate grade level reading proficiencies
We provide a free, high-quality early learning experience for students who are 4 years old by December 1st of the current school year.
Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP)
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is a state-funded prekindergarten program for four year old children. The program is sponsored by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and administered by Wayne RESA. Maxium class size is 18 students. Early childhood students attend school four days per week (M-TH). The program provides educational, health, mental health, and parental involvement services. Students selected for the Great Start Readiness Program must meet income guidelines.
Looking for a high quality preschool? Look no further
How to begin: complete the following steps:
- Step 1: Complete the Pre-Screen Form 21-22
- Step 2: View a DPSCD Pre-K Virtual Experience Video here.
- Step 3: Gather documentation:
- Child’s Birth Verification (Birth Certificate preferred)
- Child’s Immunization Record or Waiver
- Child’s Health Appraisal
- Parent/Guardian ID
- Parent Proof of Income
- Step 4: A DPSCD Pre-K teacher will contact you regarding a virtual family conference to complete and submit application and documentation.
Michigan Academic Standards for Early Childhood
Office of Early Childhood
3011 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 347-8923
Enrollment: (313) 347-8923
Para inscribirse: (313) 576-0100
Dr. Sophia Lafayette Lause
Executive Director, Instructional Equity